Coach, Mentor, and Parent Workshop Information
- All ORTOP FIRST LEGO League Workshops will utilize the EV3 Robot.
- Participants will work in small teams, 3 – 4 people, to build and program the EV3 robot.
- Workshops with less than 12 registered participants 24 hours prior to class may be rescheduled.
- OPEN TO ADULTS. No FIRST LEGO League team members are permitted to attend. Please do not bring FIRST LEGO League team members with you.
- FIRST Tech Challenge and FIRST Robotics Competition TEEN MENTORS are encouraged to attend the ORTOP FIRST LEGO League Workshops.
- Workshops are provided at no charge, however, donations to ORTOP to defray our costs are always welcomed. Please consider donating $10 to help with our costs.
- Participants can bring their own sack lunch or dinner to the workshop.
- Many handouts will be provided. A Robot and laptop are made available for each workshop team to use during the workshop. You may bring your own laptop to use during the workshop if you prefer. Please make sure it has the current EV3 software from LEGO Education. The workshop laptops will use the teacher edition.
Workshop I – Introduction to FIRST LEGO Leauge – 3 hours
Learn the basics of getting started in FIRST LEGO League, hands-on building an EV3 robot and learn some basic programming.
Workshop II – Coaching and Mentoring Techniques – 3 hours
Focus on specific parts of the FIRST LEGO League program – Robot Game, Project and Core Values, best practices for being a coach/mentor, continue to learn to program using the robot built in Workshop I
Workshop III – Robot Techniques – 3 hours
Focus on learning important programming and mechanical design techniques to teach skills to your team. Will use robot built in Workshop II.
Programming Workshop – 3 hours
REQUIRED: Must attend Workshop II or have been a FIRST LEGO League coach in the last year, prior to attending.
Intended for coaches/mentors wanting to extend their team’s skills toolbox by learning more advanced programming techniques and programming solutions. Rookie Coaches must have attended Workshop I and II prior to attending the Programming Workshop or have at least one year of FIRST LEGO League coaching experience. Each programming workshop on the schedule is the same workshop. It is not a series workshop.
Please click on the city to sign up for your desired workshops!