ORTOP Team Support Awards for financial assistance
ORTOP and our sponsors will provide some needs based financial support for teams who complete an application. Teams requesting support should be engaging in additional fundraising measures.
FIRST Tech Challenge ORTOP Team Support Award Information and Applications page (opened May 15, 2019)
Budget and Funding
FIRST Tech Challenge Teams should expect to pay expenses such as registration, transportation, and robot parts.
- Budgets will be updated to reflect 2018-2019 costs when national FIRST Tech Challenge registration opens in May 2018.
- Example FIRST Tech Challenge Rookie Team Budget from the 2019-2020 season
- Example FIRST Tech Challenge Veteran Team Budget from the 2019-2020 season – assumes team has basic kit of parts and electronics, some tools.
FIRST Tech Challenge teams are encouraged to fund-raise for their team financial costs. Schools can apply for grants to offset some costs or purchase robot items. Teams will often use a combination of approaches to underwrite their efforts.
- Fundraising activities Teams may decide to engage in fundraising activities such as car washes, garage sales, or bake sales.
- Team sponsors Often a local business or a private individual will be interested in sponsoring a team. The sponsor may contribute part of the costs of the team. In addition the sponsor may want to help purchase team shirts or hats. The sponsor will often appreciate recognition on the team shirts, banners, etc.
- Team member dues Often a team will request that each team member contribute a certain minimum amount towards the costs of the team. Depending on the team and the ability of the team members to pay, each member might contribute from ten to a hundred dollars.