UPDATED: October 1, 2018
ORTOP Team Support Award Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2018-2019 season. If you have questions or immediate financial need please contact Cathy-Swider(at)ortop(dot)org
All ORTOP Team Support Award Applications are due by Sunday, September 30th at 11:59 pm. Monday morning the committee will review applications received over the weekend. This will be the final round of funding. The published date for notification of award is October 10th but I hope to turn it around sooner than that.
ORTOP Team Support Awards for financial assistance
ORTOP and our sponsors will provide some needs based financial support for teams who complete an application. Teams requesting support should be engaging in additional fundraising measures. Teams are encouraged to find corporate or company sponsors from their communities to support their teams. FIRST Tech Challenge teams can also apply for team support awards for the 2018 – 2019 FIRST Tech Challenge Season.
What’s on this page?
FINANCIAL TEAM SUPPORT for FIRST Tech Challenge Oregon 2018- 2019 (application process is closed for the season)
- #1 ) Funding through the national FIRSTⓇ organization
- #2) Funding through ORTOP
- Timeline for applications and notifications
- Preparing to write the application
- Background on FIRST Tech Challenge
- Types of Applications and resources
- New School/Organization Applications (Rookie)
- Existing School/Organization/Team Applications, this includes starting new teams at schools with existing teams. (Veteran)
- Demographic / Budget reference tables
- W-9 FORMS
#1) Funding through the national FIRSTⓇ organization *****STILL OPEN******
- FIRST Rookie Grants – application and administration through the national FIRST organization.
New Teams apply to receive a $500 grant credit ($275 to cover the full cost of national registration and $225 to be used in the FIRST storefront toward robot equipment). Must apply directly to FIRST (not ORTOP).
PROCESS: Teams apply, start their team registration (new teams) but DO NOT PAY the registration. If team is awarded a FIRST Rookie Grant, a CREDIT will be added to their team registration profile. Teams who have already paid the $275 registration fee are not eligible to receive this award.
#2 ) Funding through ORTOP (Oregon Robotics Tournament & Outreach Program) *****CLOSED****
ORTOP (Oregon Robotics Tournament & Outreach Program) is a 501c3 organization separate from FIRST. ORTOP implements the FIRST programs in Oregon as an Affiliate Partner of FIRST.
ORTOP Team Support Awards are open to schools, organizations and unaffiliated teams in all of Oregon and selected counties in the state of Washington, Klickatat and Skamania.
2018-2019 ORTOP Team Support Awards are made possible by a grant from the Oregon Department of Education, and corporate sponsorship from Rockwell Collins, Google, Qorvo, First Tech Federal Credit Union, Garmin, Carollo and others.
PROCESS: Teams complete an ORTOP Team Support Award Application
TIMELINE for Application and Notification for ORTOP Team Support Awards:
Application process for all team support awards listed below
- Applications accepted from Late April – September 30th. No applications will be accepted after September 30th.
- 1st round notifications will begin August 30th for all awards for applications submitted by August 1.
- If funds remain after Round 1, 2nd round notifications will happen on October 10th for all awards for applications submitted between Aug 2 and Sept 30.
- Preparing to write the ORTOP Team Support Awards application
- The application will ask for some statistics, a budget and answers to narrative questions regarding diversity inclusion and financial need. We suggest applicants prepare their answers and then cut and paste into the online application form.
Background information about FIRST Tech Challenge Grades: 7th – 12th Grade Team Size for an ORTOP Team Support Award team: minimum of 6 students, maximum of 15 team members
- Helpful information for NEW Teams forming in 2018-2019
- What is FIRST Tech Challenge? : Program overview, Impact, Team Basics, Starting a team, Cost & Registration, The Event Experience, Scholarships
ORTOP Team Support Award APPLICATION PROCESS (CLOSED FOR THE 2018/19 Season )
Step #1) FTC2018-2019-OTSA-RookieAppWORKSHEET – pdf of the online form to help you prepare your answers in advance. Then complete Step #2 – the online application form to formally submit. School/Organization Rookie Application Worksheet – New schools/organizations new to FIRST programs School/Organization – Veteran Application Worksheet- Veteran schools/organizations with existing programs, for existing teams or adding new teams to existing program Step #2) ORTOP Team Support Award Online Application – this is official application to apply School/Organization -Rookie ONLINE APPLICATION School/Organization – Veteran ONLINE APPLICATION
Budget: FTC Budgets for 2018/2019 – Click tabs at bottom of sheet to see Veteran or Rookie Budget, download as a spreadsheet to create a budget for your team.
Special Conditions: First Tech Federal Credit Union Award requires that at least one of two registered coach/mentors complete the FIRST Diversity and Inclusion Training modules and take the certification quizzes. Click here to access the training.
FOLLOW UP: W-9 FORMS
Upon submitting your online ORTOP Team Support Award Application, please send a copy of your W-9 for the school, organization affiliated with your team or individual (for unaffiliated teams).
Scan and email to: W-9(at)ortop(dot) org . PLEASE WRITE YOUR TEAM NUMBER/AFFILIATION on the W-9 or include a note telling us which teams are associated with it.
or US Mail to: ORTOP, 4800 SW Griffith Drive-Suite 215 Beaverton, OR 97005
or fax to: 888-653-2552