UPDATED: May 18, 2018
All links are now live! Teams can begin to read the information, prepare a worksheet and apply online. This is not a first come, first serve. Spend time preparing a good application.
ORTOP Team Support Awards for financial assistance
ORTOP and our sponsors will provide some needs based financial support for teams who complete an application. Teams requesting support should be engaging in additional fundraising measures. Teams are encouraged to find corporate or company sponsors from their communities to support their teams. FIRST Tech Challenge teams can also apply for team support awards for the 2018 – 2019 FIRST Tech Challenge Season.
What’s on this page?
FINANCIAL TEAM SUPPORT for FIRST Tech Challenge Oregon 2018- 2019
- Funding through the national FIRSTⓇ organization
- Funding through ORTOP
- Timeline for applications and notifications
- Preparing to write the application
- Background on FIRST Tech Challenge
- Types of Applications and resources
- New School/Organization Applications (Rookie)
- Existing School/Organization/Team Applications, this includes starting new teams at schools with existing teams. (Veteran)
- Demographic / Budget reference tables
- W-9 FORMS
Funding through the national FIRSTⓇ organization :
1) FIRST Rookie Grants – application and administration through the national FIRST organization.
New Teams apply to receive a $500 grant credit ($275 to cover the full cost of national registration and $225 to be used in the FIRST storefront toward robot equipment)
PROCESS: Teams apply, start their team registration (new teams) but DO NOT PAY the registration. If team is awarded a FIRST Rookie Grant, a CREDIT will be added to their team registration profile. Teams who have already paid the $275 registration fee are not eligible to receive this award.
2) MJ Murdock Charitable Trust Award (pending for 2018-2019, not yet confirmed)
For ROOKIE teams only, preference for team demonstrating financial need, administered by FIRST but based on recommendation from ORTOP FTC Affiliate Partner. Teams must apply using the ORTOP Team Support Award application below. If awarded this is $275 CREDIT for national registration is applied to the team’s national FIRST Tech Challenge Dashboard account and $475 CREDIT is applied to the FIRST Storefront account to purchase robot product. Team cannot pay for registration or order product prior to receiving the credit. FIRST will not reimburse a team who pays for registration ahead of award notification. ORTOP will notify applicant if recommendation was submitted to FIRST within days of submitting ORTOP Team Support Award Application. Teams are required to write a thank you note to MJ Murdock at the end of the season.
PROCESS: Teams complete an ORTOP Team Support Award Application, start their team registration (new teams) but DO NOT PAY the registration fee. If team is awarded a FIRST Rookie or Veteran Grant, a CREDIT will be added to their team registration profile. Teams who have already paid the $275 registration fee are not eligible to receive this award.
Funding through ORTOP (Oregon Robotics Tournament & Outreach Program)
ORTOP (Oregon Robotics Tournament & Outreach Program) is a 501c3 organization separate from FIRST. ORTOP implements the FIRST programs in Oregon as an Affiliate Partner of FIRST.
ORTOP Team Support Awards are open to schools, organizations and unaffiliated teams in all of Oregon and selected counties in the state of Washington, Klickatat and Skamania.
2018-2019 ORTOP Team Support Awards are made possible by a grant from the Oregon Department of Education, and corporate sponsorship from Rockwell Collins, Google, Qorvo, Garmin, Carollo and others.
PROCESS: Teams complete an ORTOP Team Support Award Application
TIMELINE for Application and Notification:
Application process for all team support awards listed below
- Applications accepted from Late April – September 30th. No applications will be accepted after September 30th.
- 1st round notifications will begin August 30th for all awards for applications submitted by August 1.
- If funds remain after Round 1, 2nd round notifications will happen on October 10th for all awards for applications submitted between Aug 2 – September 30th.
Preparing to write the ORTOP Team Support Awards application
The application will ask for some statistics, a budget and answers to narrative questions regarding diversity inclusion and financial need. We suggest applicants prepare their answers and then cut and paste into the online application form.
Background information about FIRST Tech Challenge
Grades: 7th – 12th Grade
Team Size for an ORTOP Team Support Award team: minimum of 6 students, maximum of 15 team members
Helpful information for NEW Teams forming in 2018-2019
- What is FIRST Tech Challenge? : Program overview, Impact, Team Basics, Starting a team, Cost & Registration, The Event Experience, Scholarships
ORTOP Team Support Award APPLICATION PROCESS (OPEN!!)
Step #1) Application Worksheet – pdf of the online form to help you prepare your answers in advance
- School/Organization Rookie Application Worksheet – New schools/organizations new to FIRST programs
- School/Organization – Veteran Application Worksheet- Veteran schools/organizations with existing programs, for existing teams or adding new teams to existing program
Step #2) ORTOP Team Support Award Online Application – this is official application to apply
Resource: FTC Budgets for 2018/2019 – Click tabs at bottom of sheet to see Veteran or Rookie Budget, download as a spreadsheet to create a budget for your team.
FOLLOW UP: W-9 FORMS
Upon submitting your online ORTOP Team Support Award Application, please send a copy of your W-9 for the school, organization affiliated with your team or individual (for unaffiliated teams).
Scan and email to: W-9(at)ortop(dot) org
or US Mail to: ORTOP, 4800 SW Griffith Drive-Suite 215 Beaverton, OR 97005
or fax to: 888-653-2552