Thank you for your interest in volunteering for FIRST Tech Challenge.
- FIRST Tech Challenge Oregon – Event Season Calendar for 2018-2019
- Events will be added to the FIRST Volunteer Registration System by early September 2018.
- All volunteers must register in the national FIRST Volunteer Registration System, select events at which to volunteer, pass a background check.
- Returning volunteers “log in” and update their profile each season and select new events.
- New volunteers “sign up” and create a FIRST volunteer profile.
Thousands of volunteers make FIRST happen every year in Oregon. Whether you have a weekend to help, want to mentor a team, have technical or non-technical expertise, there is a volunteer role suited to your unique interest.
- Tournament Judge (January – Qualifying Tournaments, and February- SQ and Championship events) – Adults only – Work with a other judges to conduct a 10 to 15-minute team interview, observe teams at the competition, and work with judges to determine awards. Technical knowledge is recommended, but not all judged awards require technical knowledge. Must be comfortable talking with teens, able to gather information quickly, keep new information organized and apply it to a set of criteria. Training is provided prior to the event and is required. Judges should expect to attend the full tournament and must be over 18 years of age.
- Meet/Tournament – Referee – Adults only – Interact with teams in the arena. Actively judge the validity of points scored and penalties incurred in a fast passed 2.5-minute game. Must be comfortable enforcing rules and trust their judgement to make rulings. Will work with other referees and a Head Referee. Training is provided prior to the event and required to participate in this role. Volunteers should expect to attend all day or from noon until early evening depending on the event. At a league event referees participate for 2 to 4 hours. Must be over 18 years of age.
- Meet/Tournament – Scoretracker – Adults only – assists the referees in keeping track of what is scored during a match.
- Meet/Tournament – Robot Inspector /Field Inspector- Adults only – Work with the teams to insure their robot meets the standard requirements provided for competition. Some knowledge of low-voltage wiring and hardware specifications is helpful. Assist teams in bringing their robot to safety standards and regulations prior to competition. Inspectors may also serve as referees later and are required to participate in training prior to the event. Volunteers should expect to be available at the beginning of an event. For an all day event they are needed in the morning.
- Meet/Tournament – Logistics Tournament Role – Teens and Adults -Tournaments require a large variety of roles based on the size of the event. Volunteers are needed to check in volunteers, teams, and escort special guests. Roles vary from a few hours to all day. Most roles interact with the teams. Training is required for some roles.
- Coach/Mentor – Adults – Coaches and Mentors interact with teams meeting weekly or more often, starting in early September through the end of the season in March. Some teams continue to meet throughout the spring and summer. Coaches and Mentors are required to read all email communication from ORTOP throughout the season and respond to requests for information in a timely manner. Coaches and Mentors need to be over 18 years old.