ORTOP Leaders’ Circle: Impact through
STEM + Core Values + Skill Development
The ORTOP Leaders’ Circle is a group of individuals committed to growing the number of young people in Oregon who enjoy science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and have the values and skills to make a positive difference in this world. FIRST programs differentiate themselves from other robotics programs through core values like Gracious Professionalism®. It’s a way of doing things that encourages high-quality work, emphasizes the value of others, and respects individuals and the community. Other core values include
- Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
- Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
- Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
- Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
- Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
- Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!
The four FIRST programs give young people an opportunity to learn about STEM while developing core values and building soft skills that will set them up for a lifetime of success. Hard skills include developing a solution to a challenge on the challenge field and following that up with the design and building of the robot and its software to carry out that solution. Soft skills include working collaboratively and communicating effectively through plans, reports and presentations. The soft skills that the participants learn in these programs will serve them well no matter what path they take through high school and on to college.
The only requirement to join the ORTOP Leaders’ Circle candidate is to make an annual pledge of $1000 or more. This pledge can either be a personal pledge or a corporate pledge where the corporation identifies a person to represent it on the Leaders’ Circle.
Leaders’ Circle Process
The Leaders’ Circle was launched in the Summer of 2019 to recruit the first Leaders’ Circle for 2020. A new cohort will be inducted each year. To qualify for the annual Leaders’ Circle cohort, the following is the process from nomination to 2020 Cohort Honoree participation:
- Nominations are accepted online
- Invited candidates pledge $1000 or more annually.
- New members are added to the public list of Leaders Circle members unless they choose to remain anonymous.
Benefits of Joining Leaders’ Circle
- Being identified and honored for your generosity.
- Opportunity to provide input into implementing ORTOP’s mission. We will hold an annual meeting of the Leaders’ Circle where we asked members to provide ORTOP guidance on issues relating to its mission*. Those that can’t attend the meeting have the option of providing input via an annual survey.
- Opportunity to inspire the next generation. ORTOP has a variety of committees and events that would benefit from the help of members of the Leaders’ Circle.
How you can help
Consider nominating your favorite leader or yourself today! Simply complete the ORTOP Leaders’ Circle online Nomination Form . Nominators will receive notifications of their nominee’s status.
Sponsor a member of the Leaders’ Circle. If you would like to nominate someone who is committed to supporting ORTOP’s mission but may not be able to give $1,000 gift, you or your company can sponsor the nominee and make the contribution criterion on their behalf.
Please email the ORTOP staff with any questions you have.
Sarah Tenney, Director Development and Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org
* ORTOP’s mission is to open doors to the worlds of science, technology, engineering and mathematics for Oregon’s youth by providing educational opportunities featuring robotics with special emphasis on maximizing the diversity of those participating.